Humewood Toronto was built by William Hume Blake in the 1850’s and was named after his ancestral home in Ireland. Blake was a politician and prominent lawyer in the early years of Toronto. The 25 acre neighbourhood of Humewood Toronto was divided into a subdivision in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Humewood Park was part of William Hume Blake’s estate grounds and had a private driveway which is the present Humewood Drive. Unfortunately, the Estate on Blake’s grounds burned down in the late 1800’s and replaced by a similar house built on the historic foundation. In the early 1900’s, the Humewood home was purchased by the Anglican Diocese to serve as a refuge for young women in distress. The house has had numerous additions and renovations since then, but it still remains as a historical landmark and can be found at 40 Humewood Drive.