Cedarvale began to see residential development in 1912. This plan for a subdivision was registered by Sir Henry Mill Pallatt, the man who built Toronto’s Casa Loma. The neighbourhood was given the name “Cedarvale” due to the many Cedar trees that grew in the wet lowlands of the ravine that runs through the centre of the community. In 1966, the developed community was threated due to a proposed Spadina Expressway that would run through the Cedarvale Ravine and into downtown Toronto. Many houses were expropriated and the ravine floor was clear cut to make room for the proposed expressway. Fortunately for Cedarvale Toronto, there was a strong opposition to the expressway and in 1974 the city made the decision to halt all construction to preserve the exquisite ravine.