The Bedford Park neighbourhood in Toronto was originally a farming community located at Yonge and Lawrence. It was a renowned local stopover for farmers travelling to and from the farmers markets in Toronto in the mid 19th century. Bedford Park opened in the area around 1873 on the south west corner of Yonge and Fairlawn. Residential development in the area commenced around 1890 which was also the same year that the Bedford Park area amalgamated with North Toronto – subsequently annexed by the City of Toronto in 1912. What’s great is that the original Bedford Park General Store and Post Office building still remains on the south west corner of Yonge Street and Bedford Park Avenue.